Friday, October 28, 2016

NaNoWriMo Tips and Tricks

This is the first year in a long while (since 2006) that I'm NOT going to be writing 50,000 words this year. But that doesn't mean that I won't b writing. I'm just going to focusing on editing. So I won't be counting words, but I will be cheering everyone on and sending good thoughts your way.

Here are some tips I learned while writing:

 * Pace yourself 
* Determine a daily word count and stick to it
* Leave off in the middle of a scene so you know where you're going the next day
* Let everyone in your life know what you're trying to accomplish so they understand if you're not available for plans
* Think about your writing when you're not writing
* Join a region and attend some of the Write-Ins (lots of local libraries host them)
* Jot down a few plot line ideas (I like to do this before November hits)
* Take a Day off if you need to, just make up the word count later
* Talk about it on social media, people will cheer your on 
* Know that this is only first draft and you will polish it later. Just get the words down on the page.
* Update your word count daily on the NaNoWriMo page - it helps with the accomplishment feeling
* Talking to people helps if you're stuck with the plot, even if they don't know the whole story.
* Have fun with it and feel accomplished when you finish (no matter how many words wrote.)

No comments: