Saturday, October 15, 2016

Mysterious Saturday Review: The Great Shelby Holmes

John Watson, an Army brat moves into a new building where he meets Shelby Holmes. At first he isn't too sure about her, but right now she's the only person he knows. He asks to tag along on her walk with her dog.

They run into a school mate of Shelby's who is devastated because her dog has gone missing. Shelby takes the case and allows John to tag along. Can they solve the case?
My Thoughts: Honestly, the name and the cover sold me on this book (not to mention the author.) I was pleasantly surprised when I realized the narrator wasn't Shelby Holmes, but John Watson. I loved seeing the neighborhood through his eyes when he walked with Shelby. I loved his initial meeting with Shelby and how she grew on him. They make an unlikely pair, but they're refreshing. I enjoyed the case and meeting the family. I like John's mother and how she isn't sure that Shelby is the best person for John to befriend. I liked her backstory too. Plus the illustrations are charming. I can't wait to read more about this pair.

Cover Thoughts: Adorable
Source: My Library
Library Recommendation: Perfect for both middle school and public libraries - highly recommended. 

No comments: