Monday, July 6, 2015

Review: An Ember in the Ashes

Soldiers come into Laia's home, looking for her brother. He has a book of drawings that he's determined to keep hidden. When he tells Laia to run, she does, knowing that she's leaving him behind. Her grandparents died and her brother's taken into custody.

Ashamed of her inability to act that night she offers up her services in exchange for her brother's freedom. She goes undercover in the Commandant's household.

It's the most dangerous thing Laia has ever done and it could be the death of her if she doesn't play her cards right. She runs into Elias, who's going through a series of tests to crown the next leader.

No one knows that Elias has been questioning his loyalty lately. He isn't ready to give up everything, but he's getting closer.

Their paths cross and they can either help each other or their friendship could be the end of both of them.
My Thoughts: I really really enjoyed this book and I'm so happy there's a sequel in the works. 

Ok, yes, the book was violent - with several references to women/girls being raped, the commander has a history of violence, and there's that whole battle scene that's just heartbreaking. And it's not gratuitous - its in their world. 

I loved the strong women - women who risked everything for a cause, women who ruled their world, and women who defied the odds to make themselves stand out. 

I loved the lies, the secrets, and the relationships between everyone. It made the book all the more intriguing. 

I liked learning about the Scholars and the rebels. I liked learning about the soldiers and their life. 

I liked the choices the characters had to chose between duty, family, loyalty, and their own interests. 

All in all, I devoured this book and I've been thinking about it ever since.

Cover Thoughts: Pretty Good
Source: My Library

Final Thoughts: Wonderful fantasy debut that will rock your world. Grab it now!

No comments: