Saturday, January 31, 2015

Mysterious Saturday Review: High-End Finish

* First in a new series *

When Shannon's father had a heart-attack, she came home to take over his business. Business is booming and Shannon couldn't be happier. Until she's forced to go on a blind date. It doesn't end well and after she kicks him in the shin, she threatens to kill him if he comes near her again.

The next day she finds his body at one of her work sites. She calls the police who find the murder weapon to be a pink tool - one of hers. She's taken down to the station and interviewed for hours.

Shannon doesn't want to wait for the police to find her innocent, so she starts asking some questions. When more bodies pile up, all the evidence points towards her. Can she uncover the real murdered before her enemy ends her?

My Thoughts: I devoured this  book - it had everything: family, friendships, work details, small town charm, murder, danger, and a little romance. I'm excited to read more about Shannon's dad. He seems really fun and sweet. I love her group of friends and how they stuck by her and how they helped by asking questions around town. I love the people she works with and their banter. I liked learning more about construction. I loved the town - where secrets don't last long and everyone looks out for each other. I liked how Shannon's neighbor confided in the betting pool on her love life. 

After the first murder, I wasn't expecting more, but the plot twisted and I kept turning the pages faster to figure out the culprit. As the book continued, the danger increased for Shannon not only through her guilt by association, but also little incidents were starting to pile up. At first they were just inconvenient, but as she kept asking questions, they grew. 

I really loved meeting Mac - I loved that he was a writer of thrillers. He seemed to have a different way of looking at things than most people. He was charming and sweet but also preoccupied with his writing. I can't wait to read more about him.  The police chief was stern and serious but showed a softer side as the book progressed. He seems to have secrets from his past that I can't wait to uncover.

The relationships make the book - from family and friends to potential love interests. Everyone's connected.

Cover Thoughts: Cute
Source: My Library

Final Thoughts: If you read cozies, add this new series to your list to read; it's fantastic!

No comments: