Friday, August 16, 2013

Friday Focus: E-ARCs



After reading this post: Requesting ARCs - I thought I should talk about my feelings on E-ARCs. It's not exactly collection development, but I do use ARCs as a means of deciding to purchase books for the library...so it is relevant.

While I understand the cost of printing ARCs and using E-Galleys, I'm not just that targeted audience.

At first I thought I could read them. I even bought a kindle after years of refusing. And...of course I barely use it. I've read less than a dozen books on it since purchasing at least two years ago.

Reasons Why I Don't Read on my Kindle:
1. There never seems to be a battery charge (This could be because I rarely use it)
2. I much more prefer holding the physical book.
3. I forget about the books on it when looking for the next book to read and head right for my bookshelf

While there are great books on Netgalley, I've found myself not using their servcies. I used to feel bad about this because there were books I wanted to read so desperately...but then I wouldn't. Or I would start them, but wait until the book came out to finish. Recently I've come to terms with the fact that ebooks just aren't for me.  I no longer feel bad about waiting for the book to be published before reading it.

There are always going to be books I'm waiting to read - it's part of the fun.

Thoughts? Am I alone in this? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've actually just started looking into Netgalley and Edelweiss, though I'm still hesitant because I don't have an e-reader (and reading on an iPod isn't the greatest). I'm hoping to get a Nook and those have really great battery lives. However, I know I'll mostly use it for the occasional e-ARC, school books, and YA e-book sales. I could never give up print books!

Sara at The Page Sage