Monday, May 6, 2013

Review: Deviant

 * this book comes out in June*
Abigail's life hasn't been easy since her foster mother died when she was nine. She's been in and out of homes in Glasgow since then. One night, a worker tells her, her birth mother died leaving her a letter and personal effects.

The letter reveals the name and location of her father and sister. He's expecting her on a plane; Abigail jumps at the chance to leave Scotland and escape her life.

She arrives in California and meets her family. Abigail wants to blend into her family, but she soon realizes that something's not right at the Johnstone house. The more time Abigail spends with Becky, the more she begins to wonder what's really going on. Could there be something sinister underneath everyone's perfect smiles?
My Thoughts: Even though it took me a little while to get into this book and it's something I probably wouldn't have picked up on my own, I ended up really liking it. It appears to be the first book in a series as the ending left me hanging. I felt horrible for Abigail - she grew up fast in Scotland and had a horrible life. When some answers finally come her way, she can't enjoy the moment. I liked uncovering the family history and what happened to her parents. I liked the interaction between her and Becky; it was strange and yet emotional. The horrors of family and people run deep in this book, but I like Abigail's courage to fight. She's a strong character with steady morals. I look forward to reading the next book.

Cover Thoughts: Good
Source: Reviewed for VOYA

No comments: